4.04.2005

It's fun to offend

So, I was thinking the other day, and I've decided that it would be possible to change my stance to absolutely pro-life. But I think some minor concessions would have to be made by the other side.
1. All children of unmarried women become wards of the state.
2. Taxes WILL go up, to fund the new, larger orphanages and a much more robust education system.
3. Fully funded sex-ed programs, that teach ALL kinds of birth control (yes, that includes abstinence).
4. A limit on how many children a person can have (I'm not going to say what, but let's be reasonable and say less than four). After that: Tubes tied and scrotums snipped.

Sounds fair to me.


(2:45 PM 4/5)
Addendum: Walking to class today, a nice lady and two very small children (3 and 5?) were handing out pamphlets. Grabbing one (I almost always do), it says in lovely red print on the cover "Planned Parenthood admits that abortion is the killing of a baby!" Nice, right? Well, on the inside it shows aborted fetuses at seven weeks and twenty-one weeks. Trust me, they're happy pictures. And seriously, who doesn't think that abortion is the killing of a baby? (On a side note, their source for this information was a Planned Parenthood pamphlet from 1963. Isn't that around the same time when pamphets from the government recommeded drilling with nuclear weapons? Maybe we should just ignore pamphlets from that time period.)

Now, I feel obliged to point out that Planned Parenthood also provides birth control (I speak from personal experience here). And maybe, just maybe... okay DEFINITELY, if more people used birth control of any measure less abortions would be necessary.

Also today in the Daily Iowan - reinforcement for why I take the stance that I do: "Cedarwood resident Lynn Gray... chimed in with anger, "I ain't got no job, I have four kids, I'm paying rent and child support, what am I supposed to do?"" (She's mad because the apartment she was in was sold and she has to move. Regardless, four kids with no job? Tell me that's not a drain on the system.)

Just to totally clarify my real position: I don't think abortion should be used as birth control, I think there are other more effective (and frankly, less traumatic) ways of doing so. However, I do think that aborting a fetus is preferable to bringing an unwanted child into the world, particularly into an environment where they cannot prosper.

No comments: