It's true, I've been married for a year now. (Insert all the jokes about never finding a girl, or never getting laid here). We're FINALLY getting to take some semblance of a honeymoon by heading up to Des Moines for an extended weekend. I know, nothing says honeymoon like Des Moines. Hey, I figure start in your own backyard and go from there, right? (Next year, Chicago?)
I'm not going to lie. There have been some rough spots. Like everyone says, it usually revolves around money. What do you expect? We're two people living just slightly beyond our means with our slightly better than minimum wage jobs. Maybe I shouldn't pick such expensive hobbies (but I need that new $2000 dollar video camera!).
Do I ever regret it? Not when I hook my girl on games like D&D, Civ3, and Neverwinter Nights. Nothing says love like, "No, honey. You need to use a +1 sword to kill that enemy."
A special shout out to those friends who hung around (and continue to do so) for the insanity that is our life together. From monkey-wrangling to LAN parties, life wouldn't be the same without you people. (Oh yeah, and I suppose Mom and Dad too, because I know they glance at this from time to time.)
I'm reminded of a card I once saw. The cover showed a couple sitting in a roller coaster with the line, "We've had our ups and downs." The inside showed them screaming as they went down a hill, "Hang on, you haven't seen anything yet."
Special postscript: Here's the best relationship advice I can give. If you want to know if it's meant to be move together once. (i.e. from apartment to apartment or something) If you haven't killed each other by the end, you just might live long enough to make it work.

No comments:
Post a Comment