6.24.2005

Can a memory be happy and sad?

So, as you may or not be aware, my grandfather recently passed away. My dad and I were talking and he said what I was thinking anyways, that I should hold onto my last memories of him. I was fortunate that we visited him in the hospital on Father's Day. He was alert enough to recognize us and hold a mild conversation with us (although, admittedly, his answers were mostly nodding his head). We took him some pictures that we had from the wedding (Kim, me, and him plus another picture of Kim and I in his car). Unfortunately the pictures didn't fit well so we had to buy a 4 picture frame (we promised to fill the other two spots - which sadly we were going to do this weekend). I had kind of made it my mission to cheer him up, although frankly the sight of me in a surgical mask and latex gloves should be silly enough. Regardless, I did manage to get a big smile (and a small laugh) out of him when I realized I was holding Kim's purse (including the comment that it didn't go with my shoes). That smile is what I'm locking away in my mind. My grandpa always did have a wicked sense of humor.

The last time I saw was as we were leaving (you're supposed to take off the mask and gloves and stuff and put it in a receptacle by the door), I made it a point to look right at him and wish him a Happy Father's Day. He mouthed back to me, as clear as day, "Thank you." I don't know if it made his day, but I can hope so. Yes, that memory is getting locked up in there as well.

For the record, I got the phone call from my parents (specifically it was Dad on the line) at four in the morning (Thursday). As mom said the next day, there are no coincidences. It ended up that I had been restless that night and didn't go to bed/fall asleep until about 2:30 in the morning. Much to my suspicion, Dad later informed me that was around when Grandpa passed. (Now you know why I was making Kool-Aid at 4 in the morning... I was thirsty.)

Looking back, I'm thankful my grandparents lived as long as they did. My grandmother lived to see my high school graduation (there are even some who argue she did so through her own strong will), and my grandfather made it to my wedding last year (with a special thanks to a strong-willed uncle).

I'm glad I got to see him, and I'm glad I made him smile. I just wish I could have seen him again this weekend.

No comments: