So, as is common in random times of the year, my mind again wanders to gaming. It seems the impetus falls on me to be the DM (but I think that's because I have all the books). Regardless, I've been asking around about things to make the experience better, and I've come up with a couple amusing tidbits.
One friend (you know who you are) said that he liked it when the rules were transparent. Makes sense. The less you have to worry about those things, the more you can immerse yourself in what you want to do. Unfortunately, I think that's one of those things that comes with experience, and I am sorely lacking in that department.
My most amusing tidbit came from my own wife. Most gaming things I read say that girls want more plot/story/whatever when they play. Make it interesting for them! Nope, not my girl. Give her a dungeon and a sword. Although, to her credit, she did describe it as a problem to be solved, so obviously not a hack-and-slash style of play. Hack-and-puzzle?
Of course then there's my own experience, which is generally I don't like having story shoved down my throat. Okay, gotta go save the princess. How we get there, who we offend in the process, that's for the players to figure out. Which is funny, cause as a DM I prefer to have story. It makes more sense than "you're walking along and fall into a cave. Fight your way out."
Ah well, random thoughts from me. I guess I thought I'd just justify the existence of this blog.

No comments:
Post a Comment