So, the excitement in Iowa City is that its homecoming. Woo. (Note the lack of exclamation mark.) I don't know why, but I've never been super excited about it. I mean, I was more excited about UNI's homecoming last year than I am about Iowa's this year. There was one good thing to come out of it so far. Nicholas Meyer (most likely known to readers of this blog from his directorial work on Star Treks 2 and 6) is a guest on campus. So, last night, in true uber-nerd fashion, I attended a screening of Star Trek II, which he spoke after (for the record there's a Star Trek VI screening Saturday, so maybe I'll blog next week about that). It was a fun and interesting experience, considering I can't remember seeing Star Trek II on the big screen, so this is the closest I've come, at least until I build my home theater later in life. I did realize the importance of non-reverberating walls (honestly, who designs these rooms). And the importance of black levels in projectors (I'm sure that the one they used is not actually designed for movies, but presentations). But the commentary afterward was fun. One of the more memorable lines is when Meyer said he put the slate at the front of Star Trek II (which reads "In the 23rd century") for his father, so that "He would know what the fuck was going on." (I think that was one of two swear words last night.) The questions were all over the place, from directorial style, to working with composers, to various trivia related to the movie. Tomorrow, I'm heading to a workshop/seminar he's doing on adapting your own work to film (if only I had my own work to adapt).
That's about it. I think this may rank as my longest blog ever. You can thank Nicholas Meyer for that. Although, I reserve the right to write a longer one about the Star Trek VI experience.

No comments:
Post a Comment